Founded in 1993, LAANE (Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy) is a nationally recognized leading advocacy organization dedicated to building a new economy for all. Combining dynamic research, innovative public policy, and strategic organizing of broad alliances, LAANE promotes a new economic approach based on good jobs, thriving communities, and a healthy environment.
For the past 20 years, LAANE has been at the forefront of Los Angeles’ progressive movement, transforming conditions in key industries and improving the lives of more than 350,000 people. LAANE has shaped policy to benefit working families and created a new approach to economic development that has become a national model for community empowerment.
Landmark LAANE victories include:
- Los Angeles Minimum Wage Increase, the historic vote on raising minimum wage to $15 by 2020 in Los Angeles County
- Los Angeles City Living Wage Ordinance, which raised wages and improved health benefits for more than 10,000 workers and became a model for similar legislation in cities across the country
- Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority Construction Careers Policy, the first of its kind in the nation, which created middle-class jobs for thousands of construction workers and opened a path to good careers for at-risk communities
- Community Benefits Program, including Community Benefits Agreements for large-scale development projects across the city, such as Hollywood and Highland, Hollywood and Vine, L.A. Live, LAX, NoHo Commons, and the Port of LA; ensuring the creation of living wage jobs and affordable housing
- Port of Los Angeles Clean Truck Program, which has reduced truck emissions near the Port of LA by 90%, drastically improving air quality for residents, and improved wages for truck drivers
- Zero Waste LA Franchise System, a transformation of LA’s waste hauling system that increases recycling and improves standards for environmental protections and working conditions
- Wal-Mart Ballot Initiative Campaign, in which a ballot measure sponsored by Wal-Mart was defeated in Inglewood, preventing the retail giant from building a superstore with no public review or environmental impact report
Our groundbreaking achievements have been a model for similar efforts across the county. LAANE is a co-founder of the Partnership for Working Families, a rapidly growing national alliance that is fighting for good jobs and healthy communities in nearly 20 major metropolitan areas.