SAVE THE DATE:
2017 Women for a New Los Angeles Luncheon | May 12
2017 City of Justice Awards Dinner | December 7
THANK YOU for your supporting and attending the City of Justice Awards Dinner on December 8.
The evening included many highlights:
- Keynote Dorian Warren called LAANE our nation’s “sanctuary progressive organization,” pointing out that while the challenge is great, “our capacity to overcome it is greater still.”
- Executive Director Roxana Tynan electrified the room when she asked attendees to shout out their greatest fears and hopes in these trying times.
- LAANE celebrated the tremendous achievements of Honoree Rick Icaza, who helped build and sustain L.A.’s middle class and opened the doors to Latinos and immigrants.
- Honoree Kafi Blumenfield challenged us to come together and focus on common values as we strive to create a more inclusive world for everyone.
- Honoree Peter Dreier reminded us that it is always darkest before the dawn and that Los Angeles is uniquely positioned at the forefront of progressive change.
- Grammy nominee Sarah Jarosz opened the program with a stirring rendition of Bob Dylan’s “Ring Them Bells.”
- Emcee Robinne Lee reflected on what America means to her as the child of immigrants.
We wish you a wonderful holiday season and a new year filled with peace, activism and prosperity.
The 2016 Honorees
Kafi D. Blumenfield
Ricardo F. Icaza
United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 770
E.P. Clapp Distinguished Professor of Politics & Chair, Urban & Environmental Policy Department at Occidental College
LAANE’S TRACK RECORD
"By spearheading groundbreaking living wage policies to paradigm-shifting campaigns that simultaneously tackle poverty and climate change, LAANE has left an indelible mark in L.A. and well beyond."− Bill de Blasio, Mayor of New York City
"The leadership of organizations like LAANE will be essential as we strive to reclaim the promise of this country."− Sean Penn, Actor
"LAANE's success should serve as an example to the nation of how we can combat the seemingly intractable momentum of the low-wage economy. We need to be creative. We need to be smart. And we need to be relentless. LAANE is all of these -- and the country is better off for it."− Robert Reich, Chancellor's Professor of Public Policy at the University of California at Berkeley
"LAANE has reinvented the proud tradition of progressive movement building to correct the economic inequalities of the 21st Century. "− Dolores Huerta, Co-Founder, United Farm Workers